Call to protect employees from toxic gas in the workplace
21st March 2012
Analox Sensor Technology has called for increased awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in industry, and for employers to install detection systems to ensure staff are protected.
The comments, made by Mark Lewis managing director of Analox Sensor Technology, were prompted by an incident of suspected carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning at a food processing plant in Cornwall. He said: “Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas which is all the more dangerous because it is odourless and colourless. There’s nothing to alert us to the potential danger, often until it is too late. Employers need to be aware of where the gas could build undetected and ensure that appropriate detection systems are installed to alert staff to any potential danger.”
Earlier this month, emergency services were called to the processing plant in Cornwall when staff began to complain of feeling unwell. Those affected were treated in hospital though their condition was not life threatening. The company was reported to be investigating how the incident had occurred.
Inhaling CO can lead to headaches, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and confusion. If the concentration is high enough, the gas can prove fatal.